TEACHING/ RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Ocular Disease and specifically Retinal Disease and Glaucoma
- Refractive Surgery and Corneal Disease
- Infectious Diseases and the Eye
- Lasers and their effect on the eye
- Clinical Case Reports in Posterior Segment Ocular Disease
- Epidemiological studies in Ocular Disease
- Doctor of Optometry from New England College of Optometry (1988).
- One year of Graduate studies in Nuclear Physics at Rutgers University (1983-1984).
- BS in Physics and Biology from Rutgers University, New Jersey (1983).
RECENT COURSES TAUGHT/ CLINICAL INSTRUCTION
- Clinical Director of Visual Services at Dr. Gualberto Rabell Municipal Hospital,
- Currently teaching:
- Clinical Lasers in Applied Optics II
- Ocular Diseases I, II, III
PUBLICATIONS, POSTERS, AND PRESENTATIONS
- A poster titled “It is not always AMD. Macular OCT clues in the diagnosis of Type 2 Idiopathic Macular Telangiectasia. A Case Report” was presented in the 2014 Academy of Optometry meeting.
- A Case Report “Birdshot Chorioretinopathy” was accepted by the Journal of AOA on April 2012.
- “A Refractive surgery nightmare” a Case Report written in the Greek language was accepted for publication on July 2009 by the Greek Journal/Annals of Ophthalmology.
- A Case Report named “Bilateral macular Pucker with Pseudoholes” was accepted and published by the Journal of American Optometric Association on August 1996.
- “Prevalence of lens opacities in a sample of patients in Puerto Rico. A Retrospective study “sent for publication to the journal “Optometry and Vision Science” on April 1995.
- A poster with the title “Miller Fisher syndrome: a variant of Guillain Barre Syndrome”, was presented in the Academy of Optometry 1996 meeting in Orlando, Florida.
- More than 30 presentations (Continuing Education lectures and instructional workshops) at local and international level.
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL DISTINCTIONS
- License in the State of Florida #OPC2833 (Optometric Physician Certified in Oral Medications) Senior Clinical Examiner and item writer for the National Board Examination in Optometry.
- Member of the European Council of Optometry and Optics (ECOO).
- Fellow of the European Academy of Optometry and Optics (European Diploma Committee).
- Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry.
- Served as Vice-President of the Puerto Rico Optometric Association from for 3 years.
- Member of VOSH International.
- Volunteer for the American Cancer Society of Puerto Rico
- Director/Civil issues Representative of the Greek Orthodox Community of Puerto Rico
- Dr. Vassilios Boulougouris was born in Athens, Greece, completing a Doctorate in Optometry from the University of New England, College of Optometry. Licensed by Optometric Physician Certified in Oral Medication of the State of Florida and member of the European Council of Optometry and Optics and of VOSH International. He is currently an associate professor at the Interamerican University of Puerto Rico, School of Optometry.