- Developmental Vision
- Vision Therapy
- Neuro-optometric Rehabilitation
- 1985 – 1989 University of Puerto Rico: Rio Piedras Campus
- 1989 – 1993 Inter American University of Puerto Rico School of Optometry
- 1993 – 1994 New York State University – State College of Optometry: Residency in Vision Therapy
RECENT COURSES TAUGHT/CLINICAL INSTRUCTION
- Developmental Vision 1 & 2
- Advanced Vision Therapy
- Neuro-optometric Rehabilitation (collaborator)
PUBLICATIONS, POSTERS, AND PRESENTATIONS
- Peer-reviewed publications:
- Romero, A. Diagnosis of superior rectus overaction after cataract surgery. Optom Vis Dev.2010;42(3):172-177
- Rodriguez, N. Romero, A. The prevalence of refractive conditions in Puerto Rican adults attending an eye clinic system. Optom. 2014; 7:161-7
- Paniccia, S. Romero, A. Prevalence of accommodative and non-strabismic binocular anomalies in a Puerto Rican pediatric population. Optom Vis Perf 2015;3(3):158-64.
- Peer-reviewed posters:
- Computer-based Testing Assessment at the Inter-American University School of Optometry: Two Years Comparison. Poster session presentation, American Academy of Optometry Chicago, Il, 2017
- Continued Education at the American Academy of Optometry Meeting: Phoenix 2012: Clinical Management of Adult Sudden Onset Diplopia: Five Cases
- COPE-approved courses: Clinical Management of Adult Sudden Onset Diplopia, Bifocals for Children?, Protocol for Cycloplegic Refraction, Protocol and Management of Cycloplegic Refraction and Vision Problems Related to Learning Disabilities.
- Poster at the 9th International Conference on Low Vision, 2008, Montreal, Canada: Optometric Low Vision Manpower Study for the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
- Poster at the Congress of the American Optometric Association 2002: Amblyopia Eccentric Fixation Therapy in an Adult Patient.
- Poster at the Congress of the American Academy of Optometry 2001: More Than a Common Headache.
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL DISTINCTIONS
- 2003 – 2006 and 2007 – 2010: Member of the Puerto Rico Board of Examiners in Optometry
- 2004 – 2006: Treasurer: College of Optometrists of Puerto Rico
- Present: Assistant Scout Master: Boy Scouts of America Puerto Rico Troop 154
- 2014 – 2018: Den Leader: Boy Scouts of America Puerto Rico Pack 154
- Participated in several humanitarian missions to the Dominican Republic
Dr. Angel Romero Ayala completed undergraduate studies at the University of Puerto Rico; Río Piedras Campus. He was admitted into the Inter-American University of Puerto Rico School of Optometry where he obtained his Doctor of Optometry degree. Immediately, Dr. Romero was accepted to complete a residency in Vision Therapy at the State University of New York State College of Optometry. Dr. Romero joined the faculty of the Inter-American University of Puerto Rico School of Optometry after completing the residency and has since been a full-time faculty member at the School. Dr. Romero has been involved in both didactic and clinical teaching in the specialized area of developmental vision, vision therapy, and vision-related learning disorders, among other courses. Dr. Romero served as Clinical Sciences Director and Academic Director. Since 2012 he has held the appointment of Dean for Academic Affairs. Dr. Romero has lectured nationally and internationally. He was appointed to two consecutive terms to the Puerto Rico Board of Examiners in Optometry and has served as treasurer of the Puerto Rico College of Optometrists. Dr. Romero has served in several health missions to the Dominican Republic. Dr. Romero was also a volunteer Den Leader in Boy Scouts of America Puerto Rico Pack 154 and is currently an Assistant Scout Master in Boy Scouts of America Puerto Rico Troop 154.