- Ocular Anatomy and Physiology
- Anterior/Posterior Ocular Diseases
- Systemic Biomedical Science
- General Health, Nutrition, Vitamin D
- Surgery Procedures
- MHSN from University of Puerto Rico
- Ophthalmology Residency, from “Nuestra Señora de la Luz” Hospital, Mexico City
- MD from University of Guadalajara
RECENT COURSES TAUGHT
- Integrative Ocular Anatomy and Physiology I & 2
- Systemic Biomedical Science 1, 2 and 3
- Ocular Diseases 1 and 2
- Principles and Practice of Primary Care Optometry 4
PUBLICATIONS, POSTER AND PRESENTATIONS
- Rodríguez N., Gil K. (2018). Eating Habits and Health stauts among Optometric Students: Phase II. IAUPR Research Symposium (Poster Presentation)
- Rodríguez N., Gil K. (2016). Eating Habits and Health stauts among Optometric Students: Phase I. AAO Anaheim, California (Poster Presentation)
- Myers D., Gil K. (2015). Ocular Changes Associated with oral contraceptive use.
IAUPR Optometry School Research Symposium (Poster presentation)
- Palacios C., Gil K., Pérez C. M., & Joshipura K. (2012). Determinants of vitamin D status among overweight and obese Puerto Rican adults. Annals of nutrition & metabolism, 60(1), 35-43. (Publication)
- Gil K. (2009) Nutrients that promote fertility in couples. American Dietetic Association Annual Publication, Puerto Rico Chapter (Publication)
- Gil K., (2003) Intravitreal Triamcinolone in Diabetic Macular Edema Refractory to Laser. IX Pan-American Congress of Ophthalmology Pan-American Ophthalmologic Society, Puebla, Mexico (Poster Presentation)
- Gil K. (2003) Intravitreal Triamcinolone in Diabetic Macular Edema Refractory to Laser. XXIV Pan-American Congress of Ophthalmology International Chapter San Juan, Puerto Rico (Poster Presentation)
- Gil K. (2002) Changing Patterns in Ocular Toxoplasmosis. ARVO Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, US (Poster Presentation)
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL DISTINCTIONS
- Member of the IAUPR School of Optometry Senate
- VOSH Advisor 2012-2016
- Panama City, Panama – October 5-7, 2018.
- Vieques Island, Puerto Rico – October 7-10, 2016.
- San Pedro de Macoris, República Dominicana – March 18 -22, 2016.
- San Juan de la Majuana, Dominican Republic – June 2012.
Karen Gil completed a Master in Health Science and Nutrition (MHSN) from the University of Puerto Rico, her Ophtalmology Residency at “Nuestra Señora de la Luz” Hospital in Mexico City and the Doctor in Medicine Degree (MD) from the University of Guadalajara, Mexico. Currently she practices primary medicine at the IAUPR School of Optometry Eye Clinic and is the course master of the Integrative Ocular Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2. Dr. Gil actively participates in community services activities provided by the iAUPR School of Optometry.