TEACHING/ RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Sports Vision
- Vision Therapy
- Community Service
- Prosthetic Eye Clinic
- Doctorate Degree in Optometry from Inter American University of Puerto Rico School of Optometry (1999 – 2003)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Sciences from University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus (1994 – 1999)
RECENT COURSES TAUGHT/CLINICAL INSTRUCTION
- Sports Vision Course and Lab.
- Vision Screening and Clerkship Course
- Community Clinic Director
- Prosthetics Department
- Vision Therapy Department
PUBLICATIONS, POSTERS, AND PRESENTATIONS
- Central Corneal Thickness in the Adult Hispanic Population. Presented in the 2016 American Academy of Optometry meeting in Anaheim, California.
- An Assessment of the Causes of Monocularity leading to Ocular Prosthesis at the Interamerican University of Puerto Rico, School of Optometry Presented in the 4th Annual Optometric Student Clinical and Research Forum in 2015
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL DISTINCTIONS
- President of the Faculty Personnel Policy Committee of the University Council
- Member of the Health Advisory Committee in New York Foundling Corporation
- Regular Eye Exams in the community, e.g. Bedridden people, Elderly Home Centers, etc.
- Volunteer Optometric Services in the Special Olympics Puerto Rico on April 22, 2018
- Volunteer Optometric Services for children in Vieques Island from October 7 – 10, 2016
- Dr. Luis R Ruiz Cruz has a Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Sciences from the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus. He obtained his Doctor on Optometry Degree in the Inter American University of Puerto Rico, School of Optometry. After graduation, Dr. Ruiz was trained in Fitting, Modification, and Maintenance of Prosthetic Eyes by Monoplex Eye Institute, LLC in Stubridge, Massachusets.