TEACHING/ RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Ocular Disease and specifically Retinal Disease and Glaucoma
- Refractive Surgery and Corneal Disease
- Infectious Diseases and the Eye
- Lasers and their effect on the eye
- Clinical Case Reports in Posterior Segment Ocular Disease
- Epidemiological studies in Ocular Disease
- Doctor of Optometry from New England College of Optometry (1988).
- One year of Graduate studies in Nuclear Physics at Rutgers University (1983-1984).
- BS in Physics and Biology from Rutgers University, New Jersey (1983).
RECENT COURSES TAUGHT/ CLINICAL INSTRUCTION
- Clinical Director of Visual Services at Dr. Gualberto Rabell Municipal Hospital,
- Currently teaching:
- Clinical Lasers in Applied Optics II
- Ocular Diseases I, II, III
PUBLICATIONS, POSTERS, AND PRESENTATIONS
- A poster titled “It is not always AMD. Macular OCT clues in the diagnosis of Type 2 Idiopathic Macular Telangiectasia. A Case Report” was presented in the 2014 Academy of Optometry meeting.
- A Case Report “Birdshot Chorioretinopathy” was accepted by the Journal of AOA in April 2012.
- “A Refractive surgery nightmare” a Case Report written in the Greek language was accepted for publication in July 2009 by the Greek Journal/Annals of Ophthalmology.
- A Case Report named “Bilateral macular Pucker with Pseudoholes” was accepted and published by the Journal of American Optometric Association in August 1996.
- “Prevalence of lens opacities in a sample of patients in Puerto Rico. A Retrospective Study “sent for publication to the journal “Optometry and Vision Science” in April 1995.
- A poster with the title “Miller Fisher syndrome: a variant of Guillain Barre Syndrome”, was presented in the Academy of Optometry 1996 meeting in Orlando, Florida.
- More than 30 presentations (Continuing Education lectures and instructional workshops) at local and international levels.
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL DISTINCTIONS
- License in the State of Florida #OPC2833 (Optometric Physician Certified in Oral Medications) Senior Clinical Examiner and item writer for the National Board Examination in Optometry.
- Member of the European Council of Optometry and Optics (ECOO).
- Fellow of the European Academy of Optometry and Optics (European Diploma Committee).
- Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry.
- Served as Vice-President of the Puerto Rico Optometric Association for 3 years.
- Member VOSH International.
- Volunteer for the American Cancer Society of Puerto Rico
- Director/Civil issues Representative of the Greek Orthodox Community of Puerto Rico
- Dr. Vassilios Boulougouris was born in Athens, Greece, completing a Doctorate in Optometry from the University of New England, College of Optometry. Licensed by Optometric Physician, Certified in Oral Medication of the State of Florida and a member of the European Council of Optometry and Optics and VOSH International. He is currently an associate professor at the Interamerican University of Puerto Rico, School of Optometry.